Laikipia councillor murdered
Story by JAMES KARIUKI and MWANGI NDIRANGU
Publication Date: 4/14/2008
Robbers Sunday shot dead Laikipia county council vice-chairman Jonah Mwaniki in full view of his wife and 13-year-old daughter.
The 38-year-old civic leader was shot three times in the chest at Mirigwit village moments after he and his family arrived home after attending a wedding.
The deputy divisional police commander, Mr Nicholas Musilu, said the robbers accosted the councillor as he drove into his compound.
“They shot at him three times before robbing the other occupants of mobile phones and money. We have launched a search for the killers,” he said.
Mr Mwaniki, who was serving his second term as councillor, was elected on a Narc Kenya ticket and had been in the forefront in the fight against the proliferation of illegal firearms in the area.
Ransacking
The raiders later stormed another home in the area where they shot dead a villager, Mr Jackson Kinyua, before ransacking the house for valuables.
The wife, Mrs Irene Wangui, watched in shock as they set the house on fire before driving away three head of cattle.
The Kenya National Union of Teachers area executive secretary, Mr Kamanja Muriithi, condemned the incident, saying the Government must urgently take decisive action against the proliferation of illegal firearms in the district.
The area has witnessed ugly scenes in the recent past with armed security personnel killing seven robbers early this year.
They also recovered over 500 head of cattle.
Internal Security minister George Saitoti early this year pledged to implement a disarmament exercise in the Laikipia West, Laikipia East, Baringo East and Samburu districts to rid those areas of illegal firearms.
The move followed the killing of 14 people and displacement of 500 others during a flare-up at Rumuruti Division.
Residents have mandated their MP to seek enactment of harsher laws to deter people from illegally dealing in and handling firearms.
Monday, April 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)